Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Giraffes for Ola



Ola Helland is a guy from Norway who is trying to collect one million images of "hand made" giraffes by 2011. Besides of a bet with a friend, he's got a deeper reason for this project:

"The giraffes cannot be drawn on a computer since the whole point of this project is to give the digital world a break and let humans be humans for just a little while. People spend too much time in front of their TVs and computers. It's time to create something with your hands! Something you can feel, touch and hold! I don't care how you make you giraffe(s) as long as it's not on a computer. Try being old fashioned for once, it actually is a lot of fun."

"Getting one million giraffes in such a short timeframe is impossible. Or is it? That's what I'm trying to find out. Yes. I know it means that I need about one giraffe a minute. And that I'm not even close to making it at this pace. But at this point it really doesn't matter if I make it to a million. It would be mindblowingly cool if I did, but consider this for a second: There are people all over the world drawing giraffes right now. Isn't that cool? I think it's really, really cool. I think it's very interesting to see how many giraffes I will get, but it's even more interesting and fun to just sit back and look at all the amazing giraffes that are pouring in. Have you looked in the gallery? There's some really amazing stuff in there. So. If you think this is only about reaching a million you've kinda missed the point of the project. It doesn't matter if I make to a million. I really, really want to and I'm still working towards that goal, but at this point it's just fun to see people all over the world turning off their TVs, putting their computers away and sitting down and drawing giraffes. Old school style. People spend too much time being digital. They should try be analog, being human, creating something real (not 0's and 1's) for a change. Most people love it when they try it.

This would be a great summer project for your kids, or even for yourself.

Click Here: One Million Giraffes

Good luck with your project

No comments:

Post a Comment