Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dirty four letter word :-)

Ok, this is posted a little late, i never got around to finishing it cause well, im a mom, and we just dont get much time for ourselves.....lol

One week into the new year. Hope yours isnt going as crappy as mine.......lol.Just kidding,I know it will get better, it has to. :) So this evening, I am going to continue my discussion about new Years resolutions. I am going to talk about the dirty little four letter word that no one wants to hear. You better get ready and plug your ears. ready? D-I-E-T. There I said it, that was quick and painless. Let me go grab my bar of soap, or my chocolate candy bar, whichever is quicker and closer to the computer. I am actually on one right now, and it is probably the one thing in my life that is actually going the way I want it to..........lol. Im six pounds in.Im not telling anyone what Im doing, its going to stay a secret. My goal this month is to fit into a dress that I bought at Macy's on sale, which I have never been able to wear, so we'll see how it goes.I have alot of reasons to lose weight. I have two very important ones, however. My first one is because i want to set a better physical example for my daughter. Shes a chunky monkey, but a beautiful chunky monkey......lol. She reminds me soo much of me at that age,especially physically. I remember growing up how my weight affected my quality of life in soo many ways. My second reason, and this may or may not seem odd, but I would like to lose weight so I can have another baby. Im too heavy to have one right now(or at least in my opinion).
So, what is the mot successful diet? In my personal opinion, there is none, although I do like Bob Greenes philosophy. You can read about him here http://www.thebestlife.com/
His diet has you deal with life changing habits, instead of just dieting, for example, quitting smoking,drinking too much soda(which used to be a huge problem for me),etc.
The best way to lose weight is to determine why you are that way in the first place. For some, it is overeating, but but even weight gain can be from something as simple as lack of sleep.According to Tracy Mann, UCLA associate professor of psychology studied a group of people on a diet. Her studies concluded most of them would have been better off not going on the diet at all. Their weight would be pretty much the same, and their bodies would not suffer the wear and tear from losing weight and gaining it all back. People on diets typically lose 5 to 10 percent of their starting weight in the first six months, the researchers found. However, at least one-third to two-thirds of people on diets regain more weight than they lost within four or five years, and the true number may well be significantly higher, they said. HOW SAD.
I will give you an example. My dad. he lost a good 50 pounds this summer, and as of right now has gained at least half of it back. Fell off the bandwagon, so to speak. I am sure alot of you watch the show The Biggest Loser, it is one of my faves. Season 1 winner Ryan Benson lost a whopping 122 pounds, but then later proceeded to gain it back and then some. Why does this happen? Why do we lose the weight only to gain it back ? Well, its very simple. Alot of us never deal with why we are fat in the first place. It could be due to emotional eating, or in my case a lack of discipline(Ill admit it....lol). Obesity or being overweight is not a fat issue, its a heart issue,literally, both emotionally and physically. You have to deal with the emotional as well as the physical,and most of us never do that.........
I have a long way to go, but I know I can do it with the support of my family and GOd. I have one of those "skinny" husbands, who can eat whatever he wants,which makes it a little more difficult....lol. I keep telling him it will all catch up to him one day....lol.
I am determined to do this, and a few months from now,I will be posting some before and after pictures, so be looking for them :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment